Our Comprehensive Resource Directory
When our Resource Directory is published in early 2018, members of the Alliance will start collecting and organizing information about all kinds of resources available to support
- SDE CommunitiesSchools, co-ops, resource centers, and social programs that bring people together with the intention of supporting SDE.
- SchoolsSDE-aligned schools satisfy the legal requirements of compulsory schooling laws while giving students as much freedom as possible to direct their own education.
- Co-ops & Resource CentersOrganizations that provide support, resources, and community for
self-directedlearners who are usually registered as homeschoolers.
- Playgroups & Park DaysRegular, casual gatherings of SDE-oriented families where people of all ages are free to socialize and engage in
- Adventure PlaygroundsInstead of traditional, adult-designed play structures, these outdoor spaces provide tools and supplies with which children are free to create their own structures and experiences.
- Early Childhood ProgramsPlaces where very young children engage primarily in
self-directedplay, including play-based daycare, childcare, and “preschool” programs.
- Art Centers & MakerspacesPlaces where young people have access to tools, supplies, collaborators, and support for tinkering and creative projects, including
high-techinventions, arts and crafts, music and video production, etc.
- Intentional CommunitiesThis includes ecovillages, cohousing, intentional neighborhoods, or any other type of residential community that actively supports SDE for its younger members.
- Summer CampsCamps that let children direct their own activities, providing support for
self-discoveryinstead of imposing a school-likecurriculum and schedule.
- Travel & WorldschoolingOrganizations that support young people and families who want to learn about the world through direct experience of other places and cultures.
- Other SDE CommunitiesNOTE: Online "virtual" communities are included in this category only if they feature some form of live interaction like video-conferencing. Other online groups (e.g., forums, email groups, Facebook groups) are listed under "Information & Media ▸ Websites".
- Advocacy & SupportOrganizations and groups that advocate SDE and support SDE practitioners, facilitators, and/or community organizers.
- Local SDE GroupsGroups of SDE-aligned parents, facilitators, and advocates who meet regularly, in person, to share support and information about SDE and/or to organize local SDE advocacy projects.
- Advocacy OrganizationsRegional, national, and international organizations that advance the SDE movement (or related causes) through direct advocacy work and/or by supporting individual advocates and local organizers.
- Conferences, Retreats & FestivalsRecurring (usually annual) SDE-themed gatherings, often
family-oriented, where attendees can share knowledge and enjoy being immersed in a community of like-mindedpeople.
- Information & MediaRecommended books, videos, websites, blogs, podcasts, research, news, and other SDE information sources.
- BooksBooks about SDE, in theory and in practice.
- Film & VideoSDE-themed movies, documentaries, videos, and TV/web series.
- Podcasts & Radio ShowsSDE-focused audio content sources.
(Note: Audiobooks are included in "Books".)
- Websites, Blogs & NewsOnline sources of SDE-related information and support.
- Research & JournalsScientific and academic research related to SDE.
- Other Info & Media
- Professional ServicesService providers who have SDE-related knowledge and/or who serve with respect for the needs and values of those engaged in SDE.
- Workshops & TrainingOrganizations and businesses (not specific events) that provide training and experiential learning related to the practice of SDE.
- Consulting & CoachingIncludes support for educational planning, deschooling, parenting, special needs, and more.
- Mental Health & CounselingIncludes counselors and mental health professionals who understand SDE and support parents who choose SDE for their children.
- Physical Health & WellnessIncludes SDE-friendly doctors, chiropractors, occupational therapists, nutritionists, alternative/holistic health practitioners, and more.
- Legal SupportIncludes lawyers, expert witnesses, and legal consultants who are sympathetic to the legal hurdles often faced by parents, school organizers, and others involved in SDE.
- Other Professional ServicesSDE-friendly professionals who don’t fit any of the above categories.
- Misc. Resources
- Other Misc. ResourcesResources for which no other category is applicable.