A Self-Directed Education learning community where people ages 5-19 come together to play and engage in “deep, meaningful, enduring learning experiences that allow them to lead remarkable lives” — free from coercion, hierarchy, and standardization
Antonio Buehler facilitator
10201 Aqua Azul Ct
Austin, TX 78733
Austin, TX 78733
Austin, West Lake Hills, Lakeway, Bee Cave, Hill Country, ATX, Central Texas
SDE Optimizing Conditions
ASDE surveys all SDE communities/programs about how they provide, enhance, or align with each of the Six Optimizing Conditions for young people to succeed in SDE. Survey answers:
- Responsibility – Abrome Learners take full responsibility over their education. Abrome does not provide any classes, conduct assessments, provide homework, test, or grade Learners. All learning that Learners engage in is of their own volition.
- Freedom – Abrome Learners decide for themselves how they spend their time. Community members agree to participate in a daily morning meeting, afternoon roundup, and cleanup, as well as a weekly culture co-creation meeting.
- Access to Tools – Aside from weapons, drugs, and pornography, Learners are able to bring in tools which they believe will allow them to lead more meaningful lives, as well as to use those that we have on hand. Abrome does not restrict access to screens.
- Nonjudgmental Support – Adults at Abrome are Facilitators, not teachers or overlords. They see themselves as Learners with additional legal and administrative responsibilities. Abrome protects the space so that it is a psychologically safe space.
- Age Mixing – Abrome is a K-12 space with no grade segregation. It would not be uncommon for a visitor to see a young child interacting, playing, or learning alongside of a teenager.
- Healthy Community – Abrome is a consensus based community with the highest regard for respect of the individual and of the community. Abrome rejects hierarchy and values the unique experiences and needs of each Learner.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.