Amber Colibri Center (ACC)
A holistic learning community that provides enriching, nature and play-based educational experience and stability of social environment for homeschooled children ages 5-10.
Agnieszka Golasik founder
902 N5 Street
Newark, NJ 07107
Newark, NJ 07107
New York NY, Montclair NJ
SDE Optimizing Conditions
ASDE surveys all SDE communities/programs about how they provide, enhance, or align with each of the Six Optimizing Conditions for young people to succeed in SDE. Survey answers:
- Responsibility – Kids are encouraged to do what they want to all day and are never forced to leave a project or focused play to participate in any organized activity offered.
- Freedom – Staff is present to ensure safety, lend a helping hand when wanted, support child-led experiences and facilitate projects in their field of expertise.
- Access to Tools – Kids can play with every resource available at ACC. If help is wanted, for example by a young child desiring to use a sewing machine, then a staff member will be available to offer support or guidance.
- Nonjudgmental Support – Adult helpers recognize the educational power and role of unstructured play, self-directed learning and inquiry, as well as the psychological and emotional need for a methodology that is non-punitive and allows for self assessment and reflection.
- Age Mixing – All kids attending ACC range in ages from 5-10. They all engage freely with the staff and collaborate together as they will throughout the days. ACC has plans to expand to include enrollment for tweens as well as.
- Healthy Community – Every morning and at the end of the day, we gather in circle to go over plans and share reflections. We offer resources for parents and gatherings to support their understanding of self-directed education and unschooling philosophies.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.