Mountain Laurel Sudbury School
New Britain, CT 06052
These are the fundamental principles of the school: that all people are curious by nature; that the most efficient, long-lasting and profound learning takes place when started and pursued by the learner; that all people are creative if they are allowed to develop their unique talents; that age-mixing among students promotes growth in all members of the group; and that freedom is essential to the development of personal responsibility. We attempt to provide an environment/culture where kids get to know themselves, know how to learn and know how to make themselves happy.
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – Education is solely the student's responsibility. Our school provides the environment where that can happen.
- Freedom – Students are granted the freedom to choose what they do all day.
- Access to Tools – We have access to a kitchen, gymnasium, auditorium, piano as well as access to the local library, park and a nearby art museum.
- Nonjudgmental Support – There is no grading, testing or judging what students choose to do in their free time. We are small in numbers, currently, and have two caring staff and two volunteers with a number of adults available as resources.
- Age Mixing – We have no age segregation. We accept ages 5 - 19.
- Healthy Community – We have modeled our School Meeting and Judicial Committee much like Sudbury Valley's. Here we are governed my majority vote where everyone's vote is equal.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.