Open Skies Learning Community
Open Skies provides opportunities for learning through play, exploration and being engaged with peers in activities of their choosing. We believe that learning happens naturally when there is an interest in the subject matter. We do not teach rote phonics, writing, math, grammar or any such thing, unless asked by the learner. Rather, we provide hands-on, dynamic activities that pique interest and inspire the learner to delve into these things of their own accord for pleasure, growth and as a means of satisfying curiosity.
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – We support and expect that what learners take away from class is equal to what they invest. No grading or testing.
- Freedom – We offer space and resources for play and exploration every hour of classes, i.e. art supplies, board games, outdoor playground and more. Where and how the learner spends their time is up to them.
- Access to Tools – Sewing, fiber arts, fine arts, dissection tools, sports equipment, gardening tools, microscopes, telescopes, books, video game equipment, laptops.
- Nonjudgmental Support – Parents and children who lead classes are called Facilitators. We never test or grade or call on learners to regurgitate facts.
- Age Mixing – We use large age ranges or no restriction in age for classes and activities.
- Healthy Community – The voice of a child is no less important than that of an adult. We ask for participation and feedback on what we offer as a community from all ages. For example, we recently added a literacy class because the young kids asked for it.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.