Raven Self-Directed Learning Center
Raven is designed to create a culture that values the exploration of ones authentic self. As adults, many of us were not raised in such environments and are doing the hard work to navigate who we are versus who we may have adapted to be to meet the needs of our environment.
It is my hope that Raven can create a culture that allows children (and care takers) to explore and live out their truths. A place where we are connected to community, nature and the self.
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – Allow children to honor their authentic selves by supporting autonomy over ones own learning experiences. We value the development of each child’s mind, body and soul and believe this development is best achieved through child-led experiences.
- Freedom – Learners are free to be exactly who they are. The are free to explore their passions, to rest, or to play wherever and whenever. They are free to share their interests and passions with the group and benefit from experiencing those of others.
- Access to Tools – Facilitators provide access to tools and resources needed to support each child. Children are empowered to ask for what they need including materials for a project, assistance with research, access to technology, field trips Etc
- Nonjudgmental Support – We value each child’s unique interests and learning style and assure each child is supported without judgement by the entire community. We avoid unnecessary direction and allow their ideas to grow wings of their own.
- Age Mixing – Our center provides space for ages 5-12, while we do provide offerings and support for developmental ranges, age is never used to sort children
- Healthy Community – Children and adults work cooperatively to create community agreements, problem solve community & individual challenges, and design a community that supports collective needs. Our community is our family and each member holds equal value.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.