Serving the children and young adults age 6 to 18. Our students have complete autonomy in their education, and the school is run by a direct democracy in which students and staff are equals.
Andy LaRusch director
302 Millennium Dr.
Kyle, TX 78640
Kyle, TX 78640
SDE Optimizing Conditions
ASDE surveys all SDE communities/programs about how they provide, enhance, or align with each of the Six Optimizing Conditions for young people to succeed in SDE. Survey answers:
- Responsibility – No compensatory curriculum is required of students. Our school supports responsibility to self and community through our core Community Agreements document, supported by our Judicial Committee that is tasked with upholding community standards.
- Freedom – Children may choose their activities at will and are only bound by our guiding documents that outline acceptable interpersonal behavior and respect for self, others, and our learning environments.
- Access to Tools – We have a stage, computer lab, library, art space, designated quiet areas, and several acres of land to explore freely.
- Nonjudgmental Support – Staff is meant to support the needs and desires of our students. If judgement is required, perhaps due to a grievance brought on by another student, the students themselves will serve on the judicial committee.
- Age Mixing – Our students are aged 5-18 and interact freely with all members of the school, regardless of age.
- Healthy Community – Our students are empowered by the fact they have an equal vote and voice in all school matters. The have, and have exercised, the right to identify issues in our school and reshape their community toward a more peaceful and agreeable environment.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.