We base our understanding of the rich landscape of self-directed learning from robust models such as Sudbury Valley Schools, Open Schools, Agile Learning Centers, and Unschooling communities. Having opened our proverbial doors in September 2020, we are just at the beginning of our journey of gathering our community, creating our home space, and defining our culture. We are thrilled for the learning adventures ahead!
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – (not answered)
- Freedom – At True North, we are actively cultivating the rich soil of safety and accountability, allowing each person, whether facilitator or child, a chance to show and express their full humanity and offer their gifts to the community.
- Access to Tools – ...crafting, storytelling, acting out plays, music, ninja practice, discovery walks, plant identification, singing, sewing, spinning yarn, painting, weaving, bird watching, dancing, swinging in a hammock, cooking projects, slackline, games...
- Nonjudgmental Support – By fostering connection with each other and our surroundings, a whole person can arrive and feel secure and confident.
- Age Mixing – By re-creating the village with varying age groups from participants to facilitators to junior mentors and guest teachers, we offer a place of learning and 'growing up' that honors the whole person.
- Healthy Community – Our Passion as a learning community is to sustain engaged play and the exploration of life. We do this by offering a space where trust, personal accountability, and relationship building are foundational to learning.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.