A place for families to connect, founded by fans of Self-Directed Education, run by volunteers, and open to all.
Hannah Ford organizer
4548 Page St.
Austin, TX 78723
Austin, TX 78723
SDE Optimizing Conditions
ASDE surveys all SDE communities/programs about how they provide, enhance, or align with each of the Six Optimizing Conditions for young people to succeed in SDE. Survey answers:
- Responsibility – Yawp! supports learning and growth for all ages by providing a place for unschooling/self-directed education aligned families to gather, as well as a physical entry point for those interested in these concepts and wanting information and experience.
- Freedom – At our general family hangouts, there are no prescriptions as to how those attending spend their time. We do require an adult to be present in each space where children are present.
- Access to Tools – Yawp! has a mud kitchen, a library, building materials, a computer station, and plenty in between!
- Nonjudgmental Support – Connecting families in a physical space helps broaden the number and variety of adults children can build trusting relationships with. In addition, we offer nonjudgmental support and community for adults seeking to learn about SDE.
- Age Mixing – Activities are described by interest and ability rather than strict age guidelines. Families generally attend together. We do have specific activities for teens during which time we ask that families make other arrangements for little ones.
- Healthy Community – Yawp! is organized by parent and community volunteers, in a non-hierarchical, transparent format. Input and investment by members of all ages and backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.