Better with Thyme (startup)
Better with Thyme was founded in 2016, when a young family sought a space where they could create an intentional community and live the life they imagined possible after learning about Permaculture, Nonviolent Communication, PATH Parenting and Self-Directed Education.
The plan for the site is under development and construction for the first dwelling is planned to be completed in the spring of 2018. The site is zoned for up to 5 dwellings, and the goal for the community is to attract several families to work together to build a permanent interdependent micro-community of people with different ages, experiences, interests and skills and to have a big group of children who can explore and learn together.
The major elements of the landscape will be shared but each family or person that is interested will have a smaller space that is entirely their own to manage. Currently there are chickens, ducks, livestock guardian dogs and an off-grid camper on the site.
Shepherdstown is a welcoming place with a charming downtown and a rich history. There is an active music and art scene, and many activities, including many that cater to the numerous homeschoolers in the area.
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – Children are responsible for choosing their activities throughout each day.
- Freedom – Children have access to all areas of the land, and are free to play near or away from adults. Adults do provide basic safety guidelines for animal care and tool use.
- Access to Tools – Children have access to all building, cooking and gardening tools on site.
- Nonjudgmental Support – Adults provide help and support when requested, and do not answer more than the child asked, or guide the discussion to any particular point to "teach."
- Age Mixing – Children are free to play together as they chose, and to join adult activities as they chose. We hope to have children of all ages join us.
- Healthy Community – Everyone has a voice in the development of the community, and we use NVC as a tool to help find a way to meet everyone's needs.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.