The Clearwater School
Bothell, WA 98012
The Clearwater School is a Democratic Free school located in Bothell, WA, serving students from 4 to 19 years old from the greater Seattle area. An alternative from public schooling, Clearwater offers a place where students are granted Freedom, Trust, and Responsibility.
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – Students are responsible for managing their own time. Students are also responsible for implementing policies and procedures in school meeting that benefit the community as a whole by enforcing equality, safety, and respect.
- Freedom – Without mandatory classes, students have freedom to pursue their interests and passions on their own terms. This includes the freedom to make mistakes, to play all day, to interact with students of all ages, and more.
- Access to Tools – All students have access to a variety of resources. From kitchen appliances, to computers, to power tools and more. All tools require either a certification to show ability to safely use them or supervision from someone more experienced.
- Nonjudgmental Support – Clearwater implements no homework, tests or grades leaving children free to define themselves. Students of all ages have equal rights to each other and the staff.
- Age Mixing – Our students are 4-19 years old. Students of all ages have access to the entire school and choose who they interact with regardless of age.
- Healthy Community – School meeting is an integral part of Clearwater. Each student and staff member has an equal opportunity to discuss, debate, and vote on all decisions that affect the community.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.