City: Matina, Davao City
Freedom Academy is the first Self-Directed Learning Community and Agile Learning Center in Davao City, Philippines. Our facility is for families who believe that learning should not be confined to the four walls of a classroom, that children should be free to explore, play and pursue their interests at their own pace and in their own time, and with whomever they wish to share that experience. Simply put, self-directed education means that learners are in charge of how they spend their time and what they want to achieve.
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – Freedom provides the healthiest foundation for learning. Kids learn because they want to, not because they fear a failing grade, or a parent's reprimand, or society's scorn.
- Freedom – There are no curricular or academic requirements such as quizzes or exams -- unless requested by the child in their own pursuit of mastery and knowledge.
- Access to Tools – (not answered)
- Nonjudgmental Support – Adults act as Facilitators whose role is to support, encourage and assist (but never to impose or force an agenda).
- Age Mixing – (not answered)
- Healthy Community – As a community, we intentionally co-create and evolve a culture of social responsibility, where adults and children practice respect and consent.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.