Milestone Democratic School
Milestone Democratic School is an independent, tuition-free public school in Dane county, working to be a place where learning is engaging, everyone has a voice and all voices are heard and the most important step is the next one.
Sean Anderson founder
2758 Dairy Drive
Madison, WI 53718
Madison, WI 53718
SDE Optimizing Conditions
ASDE surveys all SDE communities/programs about how they provide, enhance, or align with each of the Six Optimizing Conditions for young people to succeed in SDE. Survey answers:
- Responsibility – Advisors work with students to plan learning. What do we need to learn? What do we want to learn? How do we learn best? Where does our best learning happen?
- Freedom – Students decide democratically how much time they will spend together in group meetings and group learning experiences. The rest of their time is available for self-chosen learning.
- Access to Tools – Milestone strives to give students support and the resources they need to develop emotionally, socially, and academically. This includes access to tools and resources as well as
- Nonjudgmental Support – Assessment at Milestone is based on one-to-one communication, providing meaningful feedback for everybody involved, and reflecting students’ personal goals. We are required to administer standardized tests, but students can opt out with permission
- Age Mixing – There is no arbitrary age segregation. Courses are available to any interested students, staff, or community member.
- Healthy Community – If a decision affects you, you have a right to help make that decision. We prevent conflict and harm by working together and caring for each other. Everyone needs to feel safe and have their voices heard.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.