Not Back to School Camp
Not Back to School Camp “aspires to create a sanctuary that affirms, inspires, and mentors unschoolers; where campers and staff transform spiritually, emotionally, physically, creatively, intellectually; where profound friendships begin and grow; and where adventure, mystery, music, wild spontaneous fun, and magic prevail.”
NBTSC offers three summer/fall camping sessions per year, each with approximately 60-100 campers (mostly unschoolers and homeschoolers) ages 13 to 18, plus a “fabulous staff.”
More details here:
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – We're a camp for unschoolers! We seek campers who are excited about life, eager to share in what NBTSC offers, enthusiastic about offering their own workshops and other contributions.
- Freedom – Everyone participates in orientation and two daily community meetings, and helps out (washing dishes, etc.). Other than that, campers are free to choose from our many offerings or opt out in favor of walking, talking, journaling, napping, etc.
- Access to Tools – Campers and staff co-create a smorgasbord of workshops, spontaneous events, and special evening gatherings.
- Nonjudgmental Support – Our skilled, caring, experienced, and funny staff is one of the best things about NBTSC. They teach workshops, lead discussions, and are informally available for long conversations, problem-solving, etc. Many are grown unschoolers.
- Age Mixing – Campers and staff both lead events and participate in events.
- Healthy Community – We come together to savor and support each person’s gifts, and to build and celebrate community. We do this formally in large and small groups, and informally throughout each session of camp.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.