Postal Code: 2169
Country: South Africa
South Africa’s Department of Education does not (yet) understand Self-Directed Education and the School’s Act does not envision or cover a place like Riverstone Village, which therefore cannot (and does not wish to) claim or try to be a ‘school’.
Participants rely on their right to choose their optimal form of education, and pay a small monthly legal insurance fee to keep that right protected.
Riverstone Village is also proudly active in social justice and democratic participation, and works to support young people in making their voices heard nationally and internationally on concerns that affect them.
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – Young people have full, free charge of their own time and activities and are completely responsible for their own education. 'Offerings' and activities are only organised when initiated and supported in follow-through by at least one young person.
- Freedom – There is no explicit or implicit pressure on children to 'achieve' anything or 'plan' or 'complete' anything. A rich environment (which they can impact and shape through participation) is provided where young people can freely play and self-dir
- Access to Tools – Internet-enabled computers, kitchen, large nature-rich grounds, arts, crafts, sewing, music instruments, books, various steam and workshop resources are available, along with clear procedure for getting access to anything not currently available.
- Nonjudgmental Support – Staff are trained in SDE facilitation and Horizontal Communication, and are available to assist without judging or evaluating either the choice of activity or the 'level' 'achieved'. The staff includes a diverse variety of respectful volunteers.
- Age Mixing – Admissions begin from age 4 with no upper limit, and infant and toddler siblings also participate on certain days. Everyone is equal, and all ages hang out together as the individuals wish.
- Healthy Community – Meeting makes all decisions. Each person has one vote, whatever age. Voters against or abstaining are invited to 'speak to' their vote and start a new round of discussion. For all decisions and conflict resolutions win-win solutions are prioritised
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.