Postal Code: 3841 JA
At our school you get the freedom to follow your own path and to take responsibility for your learning process. We believe that this freedom and responsibility can only exist if there is a clear structure. At Sudburyschool Harderwijk we make the rules and agreements together. For example, our students and members of our staff team each have an equal voice in all formal decisions that are taken. We keep order together. This way of organizing makes our school a safe, predictable, pleasant and challenging environment, where you can take on responsible tasks when you are ready. The direct participation in the school reinforces the sense of community, the feeling of belonging. Together we are a mini-society where we respect each other and where you get all the space you need for your development. The structure that our school offers is clear and transparent. That way you always know what’s going on.
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – Students have full responsibility for their lives and for the community.
- Freedom – How kids spent their time is completely up to them, except for some community required duties, like serving in J.C. or cleaning chores.
- Access to Tools – There are no limits to what is used to spent time on, the school has a good functioning wifi.
- Nonjudgmental Support – Grading and testing is not offered in any way by the school. If students themselves want to use tests for their own evaluations, that is fine. But the school does not interfere or make use of the results in any way. It is the students private matter.
- Age Mixing – All ages from 4 to 18 are welcome, there is no age segregation, nor are there limits in the building where students of all ages can be.
- Healthy Community – The weekly school meeting is the platform where all decisions concerning the community are made. The preambule supports the respectful interaction of all its members. The openness of the building supports the continuous interaction of people.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.