Building Community without School
In this newsletter:
- Message about a new online community for SDE Facilitators
- Tipping Points Call for submissions
- Survey: Where and how do you find SDE Community?
- Upcoming Events
Building Community without School
We are striving to create and support more online community, as it is something that folks have told us means a lot to them, and would like to see more opportunities for. On this note, we are very excited to share an announcement from several ASDE partners, Andrea, Alison, and Kristina, who are working to create an online server for SDE facilitators across the spectrum of different models and approaches. We will also be sharing more online community partnerships in the coming months, so be on the lookout for that!
Don’t forget to check our Resource Directory for SDE Communities!
The following message is from:
- Andrea Cubelo-McKay, Embark Center for Self-Directed Education, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alison Snieckus, Raritan Learning Cooperative, email@example.com
- Kristina House, Passages Centre for Self-Directed Learning, firstname.lastname@example.org
Online Community for SDE Facilitators
Would you value having a community of colleagues to discuss your day-to-day work as a facilitator of Self-Directed Education (SDE)? Would you like to “share the workload” by collaborating with other facilitators and centers to host events for the community or the families in your network? Would you enjoy brainstorming or engaging in professional development with a group of like-minded people?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, we hope you’ll consider joining us in our desire to form an online community for SDE facilitators. If you answered no, we’d love to know that too so we don’t continue to send you unwelcome communication. Simply, click here to complete a brief survey to let us know what you think. Once we have gathered the information from the survey, we will schedule a time to speak with all who are interested in organizing this community.
We appreciate you sharing this invitation in any of your networks that include SDE facilitators and with any individual SDE facilitator/organization you think would benefit from this type of connection. We define the term facilitator to include staff working in SDE centers and schools (of all kinds, both connected to an SDE organization and independent), individuals working with young people (e.g., as a consultant), people who help run homeschooling groups, facilitators who work with young people fully online.... The key is that in your work you ascribe to the six optimizing conditions for Self-Directed Education.
We realize that time and energy are in short supply, so we are grateful for you taking the time to respond and to get the message out.
Tipping Points Call
We are putting out a general call for submissions to Tipping Points Magazine. Tipping Points is all about exploring the various flavors, and amplifying the diverse expressions, of the Self-Directed Education experience.
General examples of the kind of content we publish:
- Stories (text, audio, video, images) of your personal experiences with Self-Directed Education that give people a window into what it looks like and how it works in your life.
- Insights into how your work intersects with SDE (without being self-promotional).
- Research-based / academic research that address child development, education policy, etc., through a surveying of relevant research.
- Editorial style commentary that highlights the importance and relevance of Self-Directed Education in our world today.
- Excerpts from a book you wrote, with permission from the publisher, if needed.
- SDE Fiction: Any stories, plays, scripts, comics, etc. that have self-directed characters, are about youth liberation, and/or youth rights advocacy.
- Art – poetry, drawings, paintings, etc. of work related to SDE or youth liberation.
- Excerpts or full episode of your podcast or video creations.
Click below to find out more about becoming a Tipping Points Magazine Contributor. If you have questions about what we are looking for email email@example.com.
Aug 16, 2023, 9:00am — Aug 16, 2023, 10:00am EDT
Learn how to re-imagine education and create the kind of learning environment that supports Self-Directed Education
Aug 22, 2023, 7:00pm — Aug 22, 2023, 9:00pm EDT
Join us for a screening of Class Dismissed followed by a discussion of educational alternatives.
Oct 7, 2023, 10:00am — Dec 16, 2023, 12:00pm CT
DEEPLY DESCHOOLING is a group coaching opportunity for a limited number of parents committed to the deschooling process and who are seeking support in navigating their fears and oxidized beliefs to deeply transform their relationship with their kids.