Artist at Heart LLC
Artist at Heart is a community-focused organization that provides mentorship and support to self-directed artists and makers through online offerings, community events and a cooperative gallery.
Brooklyn Wetzel organizer
SDE Optimizing Conditions
ASDE surveys all SDE communities/programs about how they provide, enhance, or align with each of the Six Optimizing Conditions for young people to succeed in SDE. Survey answers:
- Responsibility – Our offerings are consent-based and flexible and unconventional in format. Our facilitators don't provide curriculum or assignments but rather assist the group in discovering and sharing their own ideas and ways of being in community and creating.
- Youth Autonomy – We don't set any specific limitations on how a person expresses themselves, ever.
- Access to Tools and Technology – Our programs are specifically tailored to unschooled and self-directed youth that want to connect with other youth around creative topics without the constraints and expectations of conventional courses. Community is our tool in this way.
- Adult Allies – Every one of our facilitators has a deep background and commitment to self-directed learning values, including non-judgment.
- Free Age Mixing – Our courses are open to any age between 10-18. We also offer adult artist community circles and support.
- Community – In addition to running all our groups in a non-hierarchical model we also run Artist at Heart LLC as a worker-owned cooperative business. All of our facilitators are also owners and we make all of our business and financial decisions cooperatively.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.