Dandelion Learning Collaborative
We’re an experiential learning community near downtown Wake Forest, offering in person meetings for homeschoolers ages 5-12, family support, and community gatherings.
Dalton Onorato director
Wake Forest, NC, NC 27587
the intersection of 98 and S. Main Street
SDE Optimizing Conditions
ASDE surveys all SDE communities/programs about how they provide, enhance, or align with each of the Six Optimizing Conditions for young people to succeed in SDE. Survey answers:
- Responsibility – Self-responsibility are integral to the structure of our days. Young people are supported in pursuing their own interest and goals.
- Freedom – Self-selected activities make up the significant majority or our time together. About 10% of our planned time together involves group meetings for decisions, planning, and responsibilities to our environment (some might call these chores ;).
- Access to Tools – All members have access to all tools and resources. We make community decisions about sharing resources (such as the best art supplies and snacks) and plans for safe use of tools (including technology).
- Nonjudgmental Support – We do not grade or complete checklists of skills. Instead, we share work on personalized electronic portfolios and offer spaces for community sharing.
- Age Mixing – Our space is intentionally designed to welcome all ages - this includes materials, furniture, and access to resources.
- Healthy Community – We build upon community-designed structures, provide forums for community decision making, and employ "peace table" conversations for conflict resolution.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.