Deep Root Center for Self- Directed Learning
A facility within the Liberated Learners network with a mission to support young people who are struggling in traditional school for various reasons to rise out of that situation to take charge of their education.
Maria Corse executive director
48 Riverside Dr
CANTON, NY 13617
CANTON, NY 13617
St. Lawrence County, Northern, NY
SDE Optimizing Conditions
ASDE surveys all SDE communities/programs about how they provide, enhance, or align with each of the Six Optimizing Conditions for young people to succeed in SDE. Survey answers:
- Responsibility – Young people at Deep Root Center develop their own learning plan based on their interests and goals with the staff, which is an on-going process through weekly mentoring sessions. Each student is expected to make personal choices that work for them.
- Freedom – DRC is an open environment where young people are encouraged to discover and support their interests through free-play, socializing, and exploration. Classes are designed together with the student(s) who has requested them.
- Access to Tools – Deep Root Center members have access to a full kitchen, workshops, a music room with a variety of instruments, sewing machine, art room filled with materials and supplies, computer technology, as well as an internal library, and a village library.
- Nonjudgmental Support – Deep Root Center has two staff members and a variety of volunteers from the local colleges and community who are available to mentor and support all of the student members in their daily activities.
- Age Mixing – Deep Root Center members are between the ages of 5-19. There are no designated separate spaces for the various ages.
- Healthy Community – Deep Root Center has one rule: Respect for self, everyone here, and this place. There is a weekly community meeting where anyone can contribute ideas, ask for support, or recognize challenges.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.