Gastonia Freedom School
Gastonia, NC 28052
Gastonia Freedom School is an Agile Learning Center dedicated to low income children and those with disabilities. The school serves children ages three to sixteen in a mixed-age classroom. Facilitators offer academics, social/emotional skills, and career and technical training based on student interest. The school offers a homeschool drop in program for families that want to supplement their learning. Students use Agile tools to manage their learning and document their growth.
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – Each child chooses what to study and when.
- Freedom – We provide a minimum amount of structure to allow students to explore topics and learn.
- Access to Tools – We have a makerspace, online resources, and physical tools.
- Nonjudgmental Support – Adults who care about their success and are aligned with self-directed learning.
- Age Mixing – Multi age grouping in our classroom.
- Healthy Community – Agile tools for building community.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.