Hilltown Families: Community-Based Education Network
Country: United States
Hilltown Families’ mission is to support the common good of our community through the development of a sense of place by a shared understanding in the value of self-directed learning through community engagement. These learning values are referred to as “community-based education” and are accessible and inclusive to an intergenerational audience. This process of learning unites community members through shared interests, establishes a shared history and deepens a connection to place.
Hilltown Families works to accomplish this mission by identifying the embedded learning that is found everywhere in communities, interpreting the educational and social value of engagement, and making the information accessible to the community through an online communication network.
Hilltown Families method for identifying, interpreting and curating community-based opportunities that support interests and education is an innovative and established community tool that fosters a community culture of intentional learning. This culture creation tool identifies and connects community events, resources and opportunities throughout the four counties of western Massachusetts and links them together through shared interests, values and methods of engagement.
By making community-based learning opportunities explicit, Hilltown Families reveals intersections of learning, allowing community members of all ages to be self-directed in their education through community engagement. Community-base
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – A CBEdu Network empowers learners to follow their interests by self-selecting community events, resources, and opportunities that support their interests and values.
- Freedom – A CBEdu Network identifies learning based in the seasons of nature, culture, and personal development, allowing self-directed learners of any age the freedom to pursue and develop their patterns of engagement at any seasonal stage.
- Access to Tools – A CBEdu Network sees community engagement as the tool in which self-directed learning is supported through engagement patterns.
- Nonjudgmental Support – Encouraging intergenerational engagement, a CBEdu Network facilitates engagement between self-directed and life-long learners through shared interests, skillsharing, and storytelling.
- Age Mixing – Encouraging intergenerational engagement, a CBEdu Network facilitates engagement between self-directed and life-long learners through shared interests, skillsharing, and storytelling.
- Healthy Community – A CBEdu Network works to create resilient and sustainable communities by developing and strengthening a sense of place through the collective engagement in community-based education self-initiated seld-direction.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.