Liberated Kids is a an SDE community for BIPOC kids in Oakland, California that uses agile tools and meets Monday to Thursday.
Raj Kanani facilitator
Oakland, CA 94601
SDE Optimizing Conditions
ASDE surveys all SDE communities/programs about how they provide, enhance, or align with each of the Six Optimizing Conditions for young people to succeed in SDE. Survey answers:
- Responsibility – Offerings, classes, activities are kid-driven.
- Freedom – Other than a morning checkpoint, afternoon checkpoing, and clean-up time, kids are free to do what they like! And even those three mentioned above are optional (other than clean-up time).
- Access to Tools – Kids cook, are on devices, garden, take care of chickens, etc, and have access to all tools that adults use, as well.
- Nonjudgmental Support – All facilitators are also parents, and we have high school mentors as well. We have a Facilitation document that outlines what it means to be an SDE facilitator.
- Age Mixing – Yup! We have kids between the ages of 4-12. We have teenagers. We have adults... and during NO part of the day are kids separated by age.
- Healthy Community – We use the process of "change-up" meetings to look at awarenesses, and collectively decide on agreemnts to try out. We also have a Budget Team to make purchases.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.