Framingham, MA 01702
Macomber Center is a community for children of all ages who are growing and learning without conventional schooling. Our members pursue interests in their own way and at their own pace, and are free to explore the world in a way that they find meaningful.
We have no formal curriculum or guidelines for achievement. Instead, we trust that children will thrive (and learn!) when given time and freedom to play and explore within a community of other young people, with support from knowledgable, helpful adults. We are not a school. All of our members are registered as homeschoolers in their respective towns, and our member families represent a wide range of out-of-school approaches to education.
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – At the Macomber Center each child is 100% responsible for educating themselves.
- Freedom – At the Macomber Center each child is free to chose how to spend their time 100% of the time they are here.
- Access to Tools – All of our members are given unlimited access to the tools and resources of the Macomber Center.
- Nonjudgmental Support – We offer help to members when they ask for it and provide a kind, friendly, supportive environment for all. We do not offer any kind of assessments or progress reports of any kind.
- Age Mixing – Members range in age from five-years-old to nineteen-years-old in a totally age mixed environment.
- Healthy Community – All members are responsible for maintaining a peaceful and respectful atmosphere and all members are free to participate in our communitie's decision making process.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.