NatureGlo’s eScience Unschool (startup)
NeSU is where students are believed in and trusted to take responsibility for their own learning and social well-being of our online unschool. There will be basic rules in place such as no spamming or disrespecting others. We could sum it up with “harm none”. If more rules need to be in place, students will help come up with them.
Students choose their own weekly learning topics/activities. NeSU coaches help them go deeper into their topic and invite children to challenge themselves in researching, writing and creating original projects about their chosen learning passion which they can share with the class at the “closing circle” on Fridays. There are no time limits for students putting projects together and sharing them with the class. We can view any progress they’ve made over the week.
Students use breakout rooms to have discussions and student-led activities around voted on topics. Breakout room activities can vary from watching YouTube videos together, screen sharing their work in Minecraft or creating a play together. The sky is the limit.
Students are free to take any of the NeSU 25+ MathArt and or natural science courses outside of the live class time.
Younger or special needs students that require moderation during the live classes, must have an attentive parent assisting their child during ALL live classes.
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – Students joining NatureGlo's eScience Unschool (NeSU), are expected to take responsibility for their education with the support of their parents and the NeSU facilitator/coach.
- Youth Autonomy – Students engage in sharing their top learning passions with the group for coaching. They are given the opportunity to enjoy "free play" within the NeSU virtual classroom breakout rooms. Breakout room topics are voted on by the students.
- Access to Tools and Technology – Students have access to any or all of our extensive course library centered around math and natural science topics.
- Adult Allies – Instead of grading we provide opportunities for students to share their week's learning with the rest of the class via any mode they choose. Student sharing modes can be via blogs, PowerPoint, video etc.
- Free Age Mixing – NeSU welcomes children of all ages that are interested in and can handle being in a virtual environment. Students that need parental moderation should have their parent facilitating them at all times.
- Community – All children, staff and parents get one vote in our weekly meetings where certain major decisions of NeSU may be made.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.