Sky Bear Agile Learning Community
A liberating alternative to school and self-directed education community for youth that honors children’s innate intelligences and ways of learning while engaging in community.
JooRi Jun founder
Port Townsend, WA 98368
SDE Optimizing Conditions
ASDE surveys all SDE communities/programs about how they provide, enhance, or align with each of the Six Optimizing Conditions for young people to succeed in SDE. Survey answers:
- Responsibility – Youth choose and take responsibility for how they want to spend their time and what they want to learn. There is no curriculum that must be followed.
- Freedom – Youth decide how they want to spend the day and what they want to learn. Facilitators are on site to offer support, ideas, and scaffolded learning.
- Access to Tools – We have an indoor classroom, outdoor space, and access to a farm. Youth in our program decide what resources, tools, materials, and technology they need for their learning.
- Nonjudgmental Support – Facilitators are onsite to support youth with their interests and passions as well as support them emotionally and socially when needed.
- Age Mixing – Youth ages 5-12 are in community together. We have plans to expand our program to teens as current enrollees age up.
- Healthy Community – Youth co-create community agreements.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.