The Learning Co-op
Chilmark, MA 02535
The Learning Co-op is an emerging group of learners of all ages that work and play together in the creation of an association that supports all community members to have the option of choosing self-directed education and democratic decision-making. It has no fixed permanent location or full-time employees, but makes use of both existing community facilities and natural resources in exploring one geographical area at a time, with the help of ad hoc facilitators as needed. Occasional family gatherings serve as a forum for exchanging information about learning experiences and an opportunity to become more familiar with the practice of self-directed education.
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – Supports learners to pursue their individual interests.
- Freedom – Provides adult support in the role of 'playranger' to ensure both freedom and safety in the pursuit of individual interests.
- Access to Tools – Supports learners to find mentors and resources that empower them to observe and participate in the life and work of their communities.
- Nonjudgmental Support – Adults act as 'playrangers' and 'learnscapers' to support learners in their free play and pursuit of individual and common interests.
- Age Mixing – Nominal inclusion of ages 6-16, plus any other interested participants.
- Healthy Community – Committed to a consensual process of decision-making that honors all perspectives and works toward the best possible outcomes for all participants.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.