Updated 2018-11-02

ZigZag ALC

A self-directed, agile learning school in Asheville, NC. We do unschooling in community, with compassion, and in the service of creating a new culture based on power-with instead of power-over.
Hany Nagib director
click to see email
(+1) 828-772-2834
15 Overbrook Place
Asheville, NC  28805
United States

Description

A self-directed, agile learning school in Asheville, NC. We do unschooling in community, with compassion, and in the service of creating a new culture based on power-with instead of power-over.

SDE Optimizing Conditions

ASDE surveys all SDE communities/programs about how they provide, enhance, or align with each of the Six Optimizing Conditions for young people to succeed in SDE.  Survey answers:
  1. Responsibility – Self-responsibility is implicit in the structure of our days and planning processes.
  2. Freedom – Our kids engage in self-chosen activities about 90% of the time; the other 10% involves group meetings for collective decisions and planning.
  3. Access to Tools – All kids have access to all our tools and resources, although some must be used with a more experienced person until the ability to use them safely is demonstrated.
  4. Nonjudgmental Support – Our culture is based on compassionate communication principles of non-judgment, empathy, and power-with. Instead of grading, we provide opportunities for self-reflection and celebrating progress.
  5. Age Mixing – There are no grade levels at our school. People of all ages are encouraged to connect and participate in activities with whoever else is excited about those things, regardless of their age.
  6. Healthy Community – We are creating a community with values of trust, authentic connection, honoring each other's individuality, and commitment to finding ways of doing things that honor everyone's needs.

If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.