Happy October: SDE Youth Social Media Takeover
- Halloween SDE Youth Social Media Takeover
- ASDE is now offering Fiscal Sponsorship
- Tipping Points Highlights:
- SDE Flash Fiction Open Call
- Recent videos
- Upcoming Events
Lately, we’re thinking about the prompt: “School is dead!” What does this phrase make you think of? Does it invoke questions, concerns, wonderings? Does it make you think of school buildings being used as beautiful community centers for support, gatherings, activities, communities for people of all ages? Does it scare you? Inspire you? Energize you? Keep reading to see why we are asking.
Halloween SDE Youth Social Media Takeover
This Halloween, ASDE is letting SDE youth take over our Instagram page with the prompt, “School is dead.” We invite anyone with a social media account to do the same in an effort to highlight and elevate self-directed youth voices. Make sure to follow us on Instagram – @alliance4sde – to see what creativity ensues.
ASDE is now offering Fiscal Sponsorship!
The Alliance for Self-Directed Education is now offering fiscal sponsorship to values-aligned programs, organizations, and individuals who need a nonprofit to accept large-scale donations. For information about how to apply, or what fiscal sponsorship entails, read more here.
Tipping Points Magazine
Open Call: SDE Flash Fiction
Dates to submit: October 16th to 30th, 2023
From Wikipedia: Flash fiction, also called minimalist fiction, is a fictional work of extreme brevity that still offers character and plot development. Identified varieties, many of them defined by word count, include:
- the six-word story;
- the 280-character story (also known as “twitterature”);
- the “dribble” (also known as the “minisaga,” 50 words);
- the “drabble” (also known as “microfiction,” 100 words);
- “sudden fiction” (750 words);
- “flash fiction” (1,000 words);
- and “microstory”.
For this open call, we are asking for an original work of fiction that is 1,000 words or less. Whether you want to try a six-word story or something longer, the main thread we are looking for between all the submitted works of fiction is that they feel like they are in some way related to self-directed education. We’re intentionally leaving a lot of room for interpretation because we think SDE can be very broad. If we can’t see the connection, we may ask for clarification or editing. We’re excited to see what gets created! Send your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 30th.
Recent Tipping Points Videos
- The SDE Weekend 3: “And then what?” A 3 part framework to help us decenter school at home with Nikolai Pizarro
- The SDE Weekend 3: How to be an SDE kid in a schoolish world with Zoe, Thomas, & Ophie/Oxen
- The SDE Weekend 3: New and New(ish) to SDE with Bria Bloom
Subscribe here if you want to be notified of new articles and videos.