Rock Tree Sky
Ojai, CA 93023
Rock Tree Sky is a self-directed learning community that supports the goals and needs of homeschoolers and unschoolers ages 4-18. Learners may be enrolled anywhere from 1-5 days per week. RTS operates in a youth Makerspace, a nearby farm, and local national forest. Rock Tree Sky provides an environment that is caring, non-evaluative, and dynamic so that children may freely engage in the natural state of learning. Children have agency to choose their daily activities, learners and mentors determine the curriculum based on their interests, and all pursuits are equally valued. RTS honors and enriches play opportunities, social connection, creative expression, making, homesteading practices, and academic inquiry.
SDE Optimizing Conditions
- Responsibility – Each morning we meet to share our intentions for the day. This may be as simple as play with a friend or as complex as a collaborative multi-week electronics project.
- Freedom – At RTS there are 3 agreements for which all community members are held accountable: Take care of yourself, Take care of each other, Take care of the space. Beyond these agreements, learners and mentors are free to engage in any projects or play.
- Access to Tools – RTS enriches play opportunities, creative expression, making, homesteading practices, and academic inquiry. The features of the program include a Makerspace filled with technologically diverse tools and field trips to take part in a local farm.
- Nonjudgmental Support – There are no grades or tests administered by Rock Tree Sky. As a team, we are in continual discussion about how to put aside our biases and show up for learners as mentors rather than judges.
- Age Mixing – Rock Tree Sky admits children from 4-18. With the exception of some age based meetings in the mornings and afternoons (about 15 min each) all spaces are equally shared and learners of all ages are free to interact with one another.
- Healthy Community – Rock Tree Sky uses Agile Learning tools to bring "awarenesses" to the community to be discussed and resolved cooperatively.
If any information about this resource is out of date, please let us know.